When I was in high school, there was always a stigma tied to going to Summer School. It usually meant that you didn’t do what you were supposed to do during the school year and had to spend your summer catching up so that you could advance to the next grade. In college, I took a history class the summer after my first year. I hated it because it just didn’t feel right to me to go to school in the summer.
I didn’t need to catch up on my college credits. I just wanted to get ahead.
Now, not only do I go to school during the summer, but I’m always in school in some capacity. Always learning. Sometimes I’m catching up, and sometimes I’m getting ahead.
And now that I’ve written books and curricula and have online courses and my own college course, not only am I learning. I’m also teaching everything I learn.
So this summer, THIS Summer will hold Summer School with a focus on using this season to help you catch up and get ahead.
Here are 5 simple things to think about or work on right now. I’ll talk about each of these in separate posts over the next few weeks so watch out for them and get ready to get ahead!
- Mid-year Reset: Get your goals back on track. We’re headed into the second half of the year. Have you met your goals or given up on them? It’s not too late to make them happen before 2018 starts to peak at you.
- The Purge: Get rid of things, thoughts, and people who bring you down or hold you back. When you’re trying to catch up or get ahead, the last thing you need is anything weighing you down. Bad habits, self-doubt, or that negative friend…gotta go so that you can do #1.
- Life check: Are you living your dreams or just living? Are you dwelling on what happened or what didn’t happen for you? Life is too short to just exist or to stay stuck on that messed up or unfair thing that’s holding you back. There are too many options and opportunities available to you. Plus, the better choices you make and the smarter actions you take now, the more and better options you have. As a life coach, I’m excited to help my clients realize this every day.
- Unhide and Go Seek: Find Time and Get Money. Evaluate and eliminate your time wasters so that you can use that time to work on activities to get you ahead. I’m not a money chaser and don’t believe it is the key to happiness, but I do know that it is necessary and that you can get more of it to do more with it especially for others.
- Get Bold: Build Your Confidence and Make It Happen. It’s time to stop hiding by fear and excuses and take a step, maybe even a big one, towards #3!
Be sure to follow this blog so that you don’t miss the rest of Summer School!
Next Up: Summer School- Class 2: Mid-year Reset
Quick question- How are you already using your summer to catch up or get ahead?